getting buff

Sunday, August 27, 2006

1 hour

Well today was another great milestone. After building up since I finished the C25K, today was the first time that I ran for an hour non-stop. I kept going for a couple of minutes so that I could finish 8km. Woohoo!!

I felt pretty comfortable during the run, though sitting at the MCG in the cold this afternoon managed to leave me a bit stiff and sore (but at least we beat carrt'n). So I think that all of my long runs from now on will be at least 8km in preparation for the Spring into Shape series, though I will keep building up the distance until I get my long run to about 90mins.

My training pace has increased enough that I am having to rethink my goal for the first SiS as I just about beat that goal today in an easy training run.

The only bad thing about this is that as I run longer distances, I am starting to get really bored with running the same courses over and over again, which I do because I have measured how long they are. So it is great luck that I have just ordered myself a Garmin 205 to measure my distance for me. So now I will be able to run whereever I want and still keep track of my distance. And I can draw those cool little maps that people put on their blogs.

5 Comments:

Thanks for posting on my blog.

The Garmins are great except when you find out the old runs that you did pre-Garmin aren't as long as you first thought.
8km runs!! That's awesome.
I hope I can one day build up to that type of distance :).
well done! you will be surprised at how fast you improve when you keep at it (I was/am)
You're gonna love that new Garmin when it arrives. I recommend you download SportTracks to go with it - it's free and much better than the software that ships with the forerunner.

When mine came I doubled my usual weekly mileage in the first week. I know that isn't sensible but I needed to keep trying out new routes so I could come home and enjoy plotting them up.
Thanks for the suggestion of the software. I am so looking forward to this - it plays into my obsession with lists graphs and statistics keeping. ROXOR.

Add a comment